Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Stray Cat

I'm posting this mostly to get that big pickle down further on the page. Jason says he's tired of looking at it. (*YAY* my hubby reads my blog!)

So we've had this scrawny black cat hanging around our house lately. I was outside with the kids today and Jenalyn was doting on it like it was the coolest thing to ever enter her life. I think she likes him so much because she can carry him around like a little rag doll (she can't hardly lift our big fat kitty). Corbin was unpredictable and crazy with him. Totally freaked me out. I don't know what this cat's kid-tolerance-level is.

Anyhow, Jenalyn made the comment. "I wish I had a cat just like this one." Hmm...I'm glad our Sultan wasn't in ear-shot. That would have killed him to hear her say that.

Later I was telling Jason about her comment and he said, "Did you tell her we DO have a cat just like that? In fact our cat is twice the cat he is!"

He's quite literally right. The stray is seriously skin & bones and our cat is certainly a well-fed indoor cat!

So now for a question. What would you do? Jason called the cat shelter and it costs $45 to drop off a cat. That's a LOT of money for a cat that isn't even our's! But the poor thing is seriously wasting away - and I'm not just saying that because it's such a stark contrast to our obese feline! The poor thing is so thin.

The alternative: Feed him? Because you know what happens when you feed a stray cat! They never leave!

What should we do?

(p.s. if you're wondering what those things on Jenalyn's wrists are, I cut the cuffs of a pair of her P.J.s a couple days ago because they were too tight but now she wears them around every where. She says they are "stylie")

4 comments:

Lis said...

That is a lot of money for them to get the cat. I don't know what I would do either. Jenalyn is getting so big.

Kathy said...

Wow, hard choice. However, if you keep it, would you have it neutered, get shots, etc.? Love the stylies.

David Leong said...

Get the cat fixed and then keep the cat.

ReNee said...

Call animal control and tell them that there is a stray cat hanging around and you need them to come and pick it up before someone hits it with a car or it starves to death. It won't cost you a thing.