I've had to have a lot of hard talks with Jenalyn this past year. First grade was an interesting experience. I haven't coped well with the transition from cute little kindergartner to big kid. We've had to talk about bad words and attitudes (she's a sponge and picks up everything from the other kids at school - good or bad). Also about different lifestyles and choices people make.
It's a hard line. I don't want her to be too sheltered. But I also don't want her sweet innocence to be gone. I want to keep her heart and mind as pure as they were when she was first placed in my arms.
So when this song came on my iPod yesterday it had me in tears. Not silent tears. I'm talking big, sobbing, blubbery tears.
It was ugly.
The imagery just really struck me. Like, I could see myself and Jenalyn in the middle of a fierce storm, with wind and rain and lightening, and our hair whipping all around. And I'm holding her so tightly against my chest, trying to shield her from any harm. I want to do that in real life. This world can be so scary. Like the nastiest hurricane Mother Nature can conjure up. And I just want to shield my children from it. I want to keep them young and sweet and innocent. But I can't. That won't help them grow, will it?
So here's the song, listen and enjoy (and grab a box of tissues if you can relate).
2 comments:
I love this song. I first heard it after my cousin's 3 year old daughter's funeral. It makes me cry every time because it its so fitting for a mom to feel about their children.
Oh cari. I am sorry that you have to deal with this fear, its in the job description unfortunately. What I thought about while I was reading your post was how our heavenly father must feel sending us into this nasty world.
Your a good mom, she will be ok.
Post a Comment